The current Community Center building was erected as the Kalona High School in 1936 under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Project No. IA–1031 R. The original building (west wing) was voted in on May 11th, 1914 at an original cost of $ 12,000. Through the transition from a school to public use the building continued to be an asset as it took on new roles for the community.
In 1986 the voters of Kalona overwhelmingly supported borrowing money to rebuild part of the existing structure and renovate the vast majority of the rest. This initial renovation was done at a cost of roughly $ 525,000. After the 1986 renovation the City of Kalona brought on a full time parks and recreation director to run all of the programs in the City.
2004 saw the Kalona Public Library move from the second floor to a new 1.6 million dollar facility just south of the Community Center. The space was then rented out to Kalona Youth Organization (Elements) to provide afterschool and evening mentoring and programming for teens.
In 2009 the City of Kalona renovated all of the City Hall offices at a cost of $ 80,000 to provide a more open workspace, relocation of council chambers to the lower level and server workroom.